Thursday 11 November 2010

The Filson Tin Cruiser




The Filson Tin Cruiser I ordered from the U.S. finally turned up yesterday. It's a tough looking jacket, steeped in paraffin wax, similar to a Barbour in thickness and finish, but obviously cut to a very different design. I love the front and side handwarmer pockets, as well as the large rear pocket that runs the full width of the jacket.
First impressions? Well, the fabric is as stiff as a board and slightly oily to the touch, and there are nice details on the sleeve and interior. As for the fit, it's intentionally quite snug on the chest (I bought a 38, though I'm usually a 40), it's perfect on the arms and just right lengthwise.
With all the press studs done up, the Tin Cruiser feels almost armour plated, like it can handle anything the weather will throw at it. Well, it was originally designed to keep loggers in the Pacific Northwest warm and dry. With winter on its way and a million chores to do in my back garden, I'm sure this jacket's going to be earning its keep.

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm...interesting. I was just checking the Filson website last night with a view to buying something. They don't quote a shipping rate to the UK on there. Did you buy it from Filson direct, and if so, how much did the shipping and duties come to?

    Nice jacket by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Terry. Filson won't ship stuff directly to the UK, so I just looked for a Tin Cruiser on eBay. I found one at http://stores.ebay.co.uk/OutlandUSA. It cost about £185 including shipping and duties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weird that eh...I now understand Concrete Studios on Curtain Road have the distribution rights but they don't seem to sell the stuff!

    Bizarre situation. I'm actually after one of the Mackinaw Vests so I'll get on to trawling ebay. Plenty of big sizes on there but not so much for the little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Adrian,

    Does the Filson Tin Cruiser overall have a slim or wide silhouette? And how tight to the axilla are the sleeves? I speak as someone who prefers a more fitted look, but also wants full range of motion in a work-wear garment.

    Sincerely,
    Spruce

    ReplyDelete
  5. Slim or wide silhouette? Well, the Tin Cruiser isn't really a fashion garment. The pit-to-pit measurement on the size 38 is 23 inches, so its reasonably roomy. However I wouldn't say the silhouette is wide, partly because I sized down (i'm normally a size 40). Around the armpits? Loads of room. The shoulder to armpit measures 11 inches. Plenty of room if you need to swing an axe or wield a chainsaw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my experience, the oiled Tin cloth becomes less stiff and dry to the touch in about two years. At that point, it becomes a supple cotton duck that is wind and water resistant.

    ReplyDelete