Wednesday 28 July 2010

The Full Monty










When I was at uni, one of my favourite books was Patricia Bosworth's brilliantly written biography of the actor Montgomery Clift. In the book, Clift comes across as something of a tortured genius, a mummy's boy with a consummate acting technique, developed on the stage and honed working alongside greats like Alfred Hitchcock, George Stevens and Howard Hawks. I read that book cover to cover at least four or five times. Yet the thing that I was most entranced with was the pictures. Clift in a crisp white button down Brooks Brothers shirt and sports jacket. Clift taking Liz Taylor to a premiere in a tux. In fact Clift looked great in anything from a leather jacket to a baggy tweed suit when the mood suited him. (When it didn't, according to Bosworth, he could often be seen slouching around in jackets full of holes looking generally unkempt and "like a bum", but that's another story.) Anyway, I thought I'd share with you some of the man's looks and wardrobe. Even today, 44 years after his death, he's still something of a style icon.

No comments:

Post a Comment